Today Carla from Top Travel Italy’s Sales Department, will show you how to prepare a delicious Peach and Amaretti Pie.
Amaretti are traditional Italian biscuits made with almonds and they are not to be confused with Amaretto: a sweet, almond flavoured Italian liqueur.
Peaches and Amaretti biscuits are a classic match that you can find in different variations all over Italy. This is a yummy pie full of juicy peaches with a layer of Italian custard and crunchy amaretti; you can use both fresh or canned peaches, your pie will be delicious in any case.
Are you ready? Put your apron on and have fun!
Peach and Amaretti Pie
For the Shortcrust pastry
- - 150 g of butter
- - 100 g of sugar
- - 1 egg
- - 300 g of plain flour
- - 1 grated lemon rind
- - a pinch of baking powder
- - a pinch of salt
For the Filling
- - 100 g of Amaretti crumble
- - 1 can of peaches or 3 fresh peaches
For the Italian custard cream
- - 125 ml of milk
- - 1 egg yolk
- - 35 g of sugar
- - 8 g of cornstarch
- - 1/2 vanilla bean’s seeds or grated lemon rind
- Start with the shortcrust pastry:
- - Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl;
- - Cut the butter in small cubes and add it to the mixture along with the egg, the lemon rind and the baking powder;
- - Mix with your hands the ingredients quickly until dough is smooth;
- - Wrap the dough in the transparent film and let it rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
Now the Italian custard:
- - In a saucepan bring the milk to a simmer along with the vanilla bean or the lemon rind;
- - In a bowl whisk together the egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch;
- - Pour the warm milk in the egg mixture and whisk until well combined;
- - Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and place it over low heat;
- - Whisk it constantly until it thickens up.
- - Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool.
- Now it’s time to create the pie!
- - Place half of the dough in a buttered cake tin;
- - Crumble the amaretti and put them on the bottom of the pie;
- - Put a thin layer of custard all over the crumbled amaretti;
- - Put the peaches on the top creating a circle;
- - With the remaining dough, roll a thin layer with a rolling pin and cover the filling;
- - Bake at 180 C for 50 minutes.
- - Serve once cooled with a dusting of icing sugar.