Today Giulia from Top Travel Italy's Operation Department, will show you how to prepare a delicious chocolate cake, called Nua Cake.
Nua cake is a sponge cake filled with Italian custard. It is a sort of a magic recipe, as the custard sinks into the sponge while baking and the result is a very light sponge that hides surprisingly delicious “pockets” of crema pasticcera (Italian custard) through it. This is a great cake, very easy and fast to make, perfect for everyday or for a special dinner.
Are you ready? Put your apron on and have fun!
For the Italian custard cream
- - 250 ml of milk
- - 2 egg yolks
- - 50 gr of sugar
- - 3 tbsp of cornstarch
- - 1/2 vanilla bean’s seeds
For the sponge
- - 4 eggs
- - 300 gr of flour
- - 180 gr of sugar
- - 1 stick of soft butter (100 gr)
- - 130 ml of milk
- - 1/2 tbsp of baking powder
- - 40 gr cocoa powder
- Start with the custard:
- - In a saucepan bring the milk to a simmer along with the vanilla bean;
- - In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch;
- - Pour the warm milk in the egg mixture and whisk until well combined;
- - Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and place over low heat;
- - Whisk it constantly until it thickens up.
- - Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool.
- Make the sponge:
- - In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar;
- - Add the soft butter, milk and keep blending with a hand mixer;
- - Add the sifted flour, the cocoa and baking powder;
- - Blend the mixture until fluffy and creamy;
- - Pour the batter in a greased cake pan and add spoonfuls of custard on the cake’s surface;
- - Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes.
Serve once cooled.